The Irvine that was

Colvin’s Ironmongery and General Store – Bridgegate

Colvin’s ironmongery and general store – which included the old Post Office in Bridgegate. The building was named ‘The Polytechnic’ – based on the same idea of the large department store in Glasgow, John Anderson’s ‘Royal Polytechnic Warehouse’, which opened in 1867. Neil Stirrat noted that ‘the first “Polytechnic” was also in Bridgegate across the road from the Delta Bar. It had a reputation second to none for service, and one could get anything literally from a needle to an anchor.’

11221278_846191845429786_201302473693843366_n 11351158_846191902096447_7292285623277651025_n 11222588_846191875429783_8553089683697355461_n

Facebook Comments