Jail Close

Posted on Posted in The Irvine that is, The Irvine that was

The centre of the old town was typified by congested tenements and a system of narrow closes.  Adjacent to the Town House, the Jail Close is the last remaining old town close in the town centre.  With the demolition of the Victorian Police Station (1860) and the Annick Community Centre (originally the Public and Industrial School built in 1857) Jail Close was saved by a public campaign and now borders the Portal Leisure Centre.

Facebook Comments