Hill Street is one of the earliest known streets in the town. By the year 1426, building in the Royal Burgh had extended to an area known as Mount Musart or Mizar Hill. This was a “common vennel” running from the Kirkgate to Mount Musart forming what is now Hill Street. The street was also known as Hill Place for a time. Together with what is now known as West Road, it was an important path between the church and the castle.