|Irvine Bank Street|
The former station building in 2007
|Original company||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
|2 June 1890||Opened|
|1 January 1917||Closed|
|1 February 1919||Reopened|
|2 July 1924||Renamed Irvine Bank Street|
|28 July 1930||Closed to regular services|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
The station opened on 2 June 1890 and was simply known as Irvine. It closed between 1 January 1917 and 1 February 1919 due to wartime economy, and upon the grouping of the L&AR into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923, the station was renamed Irvine Bank Street on 2 June 1924. The station closed to passengers on 28 July 1930, however the line continued to be used for freight trains until 1939.
Today part of the former station buildings are in use by the Irvine Times local newspaper.
- Butt, page 128
- Stansfield, page 27
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Stansfield, G. (1999). Ayrshire & Renfrewshire's Lost Railways. Ochiltree: Stenlake Publishing. ISBN 1-8403-3077-5.
- Wark, Hugh, Webster, John and Higgins, Michael (1972). "Glimpses of a Caledonian Branch". In The Railway Magazine, Volume 118, No. 851. Pages 128 - 131. (March 1972).
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Line and station closed
For a brief period at the end of the Victorian era, Irvine was serviced by two competing railway lines, the main rail link being at the Montgomery Street Station operated by the Glasgow & South Western Rail Co. And the second was operated at Bank Street by the Caledonian Rail Co. the station being built in 1890, there was hope that this second line would encourage industrial development of the area, but this was not to happen the and the station and line closed in 1930.