The Irvine that isThe Irvine that was

The Low Green

lowgreen-ii-2-smallThe Low Green was first mentioned in 1499 and is as the name suggests, an area of low lying ground along the river between the old bridge and the Marress ford. Traditionally the Green was one of a number of areas leased for pasture. Since the early 20th century however, it has been a popular leisure and recreational area.

The Low Green was originally more extensive as some of it was incorporated into gardens for houses in West Road.

Facebook Comments